Monday, August 27, 2012


Well my friends, we did it. The "Marathon of Labor" is over for a few years.  Here is a little glimpse into how we spent our Sabbath yesterday.

4:13am - Contraction woke me up.

4:20am - Another contraction that woke me up.

4:46am - Chris called our midwife, Heather Johnson, to report.

5:06am - Needed counter pressure through contractions.  Poor Chris was frantically moving furniture out of the living room, trying to set up the birth pool, and be there for me when I needed him.  He was getting a workout for sure.

5:49am - We were hoping Cam would sleep straight through the morning, but the pump for the pool woke him up.  He was wanting attention that we couldn't really focus on him at that moment, so we called my Mom and she came to play with him.

6:00am - Heather arrived and put an IV of antibiotics in me, for Group B Strep.

At some point I got in the birth pool.  It was much needed relief.  Labor is such a mental game.  I was trying to stay on top of it, but towards the end kept asking how much longer it would be.  I was extremely thankful to have pretty good breaks/rests between contractions even right up to the end.  Using voice really helped me with labor, so it was a little cacophonous in our house.

The midwives broke my water upon my request and it was maybe 3 contractions afterwards that I said, "I'm getting her out in one push."  The midwives kind of advised against that, as it would increase my likelihood of tearing, they said if we ask you to slow down you should slow down.  But when the next one came, I pushed, and then I stopped, and it didn't feel better, so OUT SHE CAME!  What an amazing, beautiful, relief to finally have her in our arms.  (I did tear, but that was something I was willing to deal with at the moment.  Later when I was getting stitched up I thought maybe I could have been more patient.)

The midwives stayed, helped, cleaned up, did the newborn exam and everything until after 11:00am.  Cleo nursed, Chris slept, I was in and out of sleep but kept getting woken up by afterbirth pains.  Chris made me oatmeal, cantaloupe, and applesauce.  We watched Return to Me, sobbed and laughed then got up and moved around for a bit.

Camden went to church with my mom and played all day over there.  Actually he slept from 2 - 7pm, he's not used to being up at 5am!

It was nice having some time for Chris and I.  We talked and laughed about Cleo's birth, played Phase 10, and just caught up.  We don't get to talk much with me working days and Chris working nights.

One thing I had wanted when she was born was for it to be in the night/early morning and then all of a sudden we could just announce she was here safe and sound!  And with the exception of my mother knowing and being here, that is what happened!  It was wonderful.  Nobody had to be worrying about how it was going or anything.

She weighed 8 lbs 10 oz, 21 inches long, born at 7:26am.


Taking care of a newborn again is crazy.  They need you in such a different way than a 3 year old.  She looks so much like Camden, it is like deja vu.  So thankful for loving friends and family who are so supportive and loving. 


Circe said...

Yay! Congrats! She looks so adorable! If you ever need someone to watch Cam and your family's not around, I'd love to!:)

Daina said...

It sounds like it went really well and according to plan. Is three hours fast or normal for a home birth? Congratulations to you all!

I hope you have some time off to enjoy Cleo together!

Golda Cristine said...

We are so happy Cleo is here safely. What a fun birth! Congrats!

TyandMar said...

Congrats mc!! I'm so glad everything went much smoother this time! She looks so much like Camden! That's all I hear about my kids, is how much they look alike! So I guess get used to that comment?! Enjoy the newborn phase!

Michelle said...


The Cox Crew said...

You did it!!!!!!! And so freaking fast I can't believe it. I'm glad you got some breaks between contractions, I remember no breaks between contractions with Jonas and it was NOT FUN. I love the name and I'm so glad everything went well with no complications. I know what you mean about the using voice thing. I remember watching A Baby Story on TLC and the moms in labor were moaning and such and I was thinking they were so crazy and I would never do that. Then I had Jonas....Ha! Never say never I guess. Two is busy busy, but fun! Especially now that Cohen and Jonas are starting to play together. It's fun to have a little family of four:)

Shane and Kenzie said...

I knew how freaking awesome you were...but you just put the cherry on top. You are so tough, I can hardly believe that everything happened within 3 hours, and that Cleo was out in one push! What a beautiful experience for your family, and I'm glad that you were able to do it all at home, just like you wanted.
Can hardly WAIT to see and talk with you in person :)

Us said...

im so happy for you! i love that you had her at home. your one tough woman.

John and Stef said...

Congratulations! Beautiful baby!! We're so happy for you.

Michelle Bott said...

Marianne! I am so happy for you guys! Cleo looks adorable! I love that you had birthday cake and that Chris made you oatmeal! I am down to 4 weeks! My experience is going to be a little different, and I am starting to get really nervous about it...I kinda wish I could just wake up and have him here! I love your pictures and reading about your story. Congratulations!!! Miss you!

LeeAnn said...

Hooray for your little family! Great job & she is a beauty!

Sasha said...

Congratulations Christensen Moody family! Glad to hear that everything went well.

My dad gave me this poem by Sappho years ago. I've always liked it and it's particularly appropriate for you. (I've since learned that Sappho's daughter's name was actually Cleis--my dad was misquoting--but I'll always remember it this way).

I have a child so fair,
As golden flowers is she,
My Cleo, all my care.
I'd not give her away,
For all of Lydia's wide sway,
Nor lands men long to see.